BS, PMA® CPT, RYT200, FRCms, Kinstretch®, and Madeline Black Method
My Goals and Method:
Awake Bodies is my creation coming to life. A place where people can learn about their unique body, uncover their movement story and find the patterns that they have built throughout their lives. Learning to move through those stories and create new ones as they build strength, awareness, and balance to improve the way they move and feel.
My goal was to create a place where anyone could learn to move with more freedom and feel better in their joints regardless of where they live.
The virtual studio came alive during covid but continues to thrive and grow.
I love solving problems, holding people accountable, and breaking down all things movement related.
I use tools such as myofascial release, pilates, yoga, functional range conditioning, kinstretch, and the Madeline Black method to assess, release, activate, and re-educate the body. My personal experience with pain management and over 15 years of hands on teaching in the movement field gives me a skilled eye for understanding the way the human body moves, adapts, and heals.
I have long been interested in physical activity, healing, and growth. An avid skateboarder and snowboarder in youth, I regularly suffered from bumps and bruises – plus a few more serious injuries, including ACL reconstruction, bunion surgeries, and cancer.
I coped with the pain and worked through rehabilitation, feeling frustrated but recognizing these challenges presented opportunities for growth and positive change.
My Education and Experience:
- 2003 - I received my first Pilates certification from the PhysicalMind Institute with Michael Wright in Washington, DC focusing on mat work.
- 2004 - I began my first comprehensive Pilates training, also through the PhysicalMind Institute, with Cynthia Clark at the Thinking Body studio in Charlottesville, Virginia. After completing the coursework and a one-year apprenticeship, I became fully certified and began teaching on all Pilates equipment.
- 2006 - I began working with Krysia Witkowski, an Integrative Manual Physical Therapist. During this time, I completed a second comprehensive training through Polestar Pilates in Miami, Florida with Dr. Brent Anderson. Having completed two full comprehensive certification training, I was invited to serve as a mentor for Polestar, assisting new Pilates students who were completing their certification. This was a wonderful experience for me working under and learning from physical therapists.
- 2011 - To further compliment my hands-on Pilates instruction experience and my therapeutic training, I completed my Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science from Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia.
- 2013, I opened a Pilates studio, Vim, in Norfolk, Virginia. My studio was a welcomed addition to the Ghent community and became well known as an inviting space filled with positive energy, strength and healing. Clients praised my enthusiasm and supportive, empowering instruction style.
- 2016 - I completed my first Yoga Teacher Training in Maui, Hawaii with ZFlow Power Yoga. This amazing experience gave me insight and perspective on my personal practice and teaching power yoga in a heated environment. The training was transformational. It brought me a new sense of power and strength to incorporate into my personal practice as well as my teaching style. I am currently working towards a 500 hour Certification with Yoga Medicine.
- 2018 - I completed the Functional Range Conditioning Mobility Specialist Training, Functional Release for Spine, and Kinstretch Level 1 Seminars to help aid my athlete clients in mobility and strengthening at end ranges. Completing and testing out for these rigorous trainings awards me the titles of Functional Range Conditioning Mobility Specialist and Kinstretch Instructor.
- 2020 - Covid brought its own set of challenges in the world of hands- on teaching. While it may have been difficult to switch gears, it was not impossible. I began training in the Madeline Black Method in June of 2020 completing series 1-3.
- 2021 - My love for the Core Align began as soon as I saw it. This revolutionary machine brings the principles of movement to life with standing work, dynamic gait training, balance, sport specific, and overall strengthening. Utilizing skateboards in tracks and a pulley system, we can adapt the core align to train almost any standing activity or sport. I can't wait to buy 4 more and offer classes. For now, we can do private sessions. I have completed Core Align Training 1 & 2 and advanced coursework as well.
A few personal things:
I am a mom of 3 and I love to travel! I also love to be outside, mountain biking, hiking, snowboarding, backpacking, and swimming. I'm a life-long learner, and I am currently focusing on the German language and how to grow a garden.
In July of 2015, my family relocated from Norfolk to Leavenworth. We own a restaurant providing nourishing and healthy broth bowls while staying environmentally ethical to food sources. Yodelin Broth Company is a favorite among locals and visitors in Leavenworth. You can look at the restaurants at https://yodelinbroth.com/